Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Trick or Treat of Another Kind

I don't know what it is but lately I have been hearing much more rhetoric about the "satanic practices of Halloween" or how we should not let our children participate in this "pagan ritual."  You know, I get people's passion about standing up for what they believe to be the wrong kind of holiday to be celebrating.  Being passionate about one's belief is what this country is founded on, or at least I think it is.  That's all cool!  However, for the other 73% of us who actually think about something before we engage in it, its really hard to understand what all the fuss is about.  If we were to take apart every pagan holiday, frankly we would not be able to celebrate half the things that we do celebrate.  
The truth is that this story is not about holding my position about taking my son out to trick or treat, it is actually about how this year, became a part of a larger strategy.  It became an opportunity to share a new message. 
A colleague of mine shared with me this great campaign called "reverse trick or treat."  Basically it is a campaign surrounding fair trade consumption and thinking about the simple things that we take for granted like chocolate in our country is a great treat and yet in other countries, children never get to enjoy it because it has become an economic luxury to have and to produce while they and their parents never seem to reap any of its gain.  This little campaign became a wonderful way for me to introduce myself to new families in my community.  
My son and I were invited to a friendly bar-b-Que before the trick or treating would actually begin and as we prepared to go, I shared with my son the story behind fair trade.  He became very upset that kids in other countries did not get to enjoy chocolate or other candies and perhaps didn't ever get to go trick-or-treating themselves.  So we began to assemble our fair trade candies together with a card explaining what reverse trick or treating is.  
The reaction was amazing!  The parents were asking and trying to figure out who gave out this candy, with the special message card.  Not only that but here was this kid giving back candy as well as receiving candy!  What came out of that were long conversations with several parents about their experiences with faith, and how they were raised.  Conversations about how they didn't get Christian groups who always seemed to be condemning all kinds of things that were not relevant and yet seem to add to an already divided nation.
Who would have known that a little piece of chocolate and some creative energy would serve as a way to be about the work of a church planter.
For those who are still leery about the whole Halloween and trick or treating business, at least you should consider what Joseph said to his brothers when he finally revealed to them who he was.  "What you meant for evil, God has used for good."  Meeting families, talking about real issues of faith and how they juxtapose within the fabric of our lives, is where church planting takes place.  Having people see you as part of the community, walking with your kid, sharing over a burger about social disparity and other real issues in the community, are the discussions that no formal Bible study can replace.  Trust me people don't want just another worship space, there are plenty of those.  People want sacred space, where they, even they can have an encounter with the Divine.  What I have discovered is that those sacred spaces can happen anywhere, anytime with or without a costume and even with a piece of chocolate!  
In case you're wondering, my son did not dress as a ghost or goblin, he was a dinosaur, actually Godzilla, as he reminded me so often and he was a missionary, teaching me and those around me that every opportunity is a chance to be a witness.  


To Find out more about reverse trick or treating go to www.reversetrickortreating.org

No comments:

Post a Comment